Opinion

Opinion
An Opinion cannot be proven true or false

Friday, January 2, 2015

Where Was the Law?!

Where Was The Law?! 

I remember when I was eighteen and pregnant with my first child. We were young, and just starting out. We both were working for McDonalds at the time, full time even. But in those days, McDonalds didn't allow you to claim full time employment. Our status as employees was part time, therefore we had no insurance. However we were both working well over forty hours a week.

The clinic we were going to was in St. Thomas Hospital (than) later known as Summa a division of Akron City Hospital. The Doctor we seen was Mariello. He was kind of young, his assistant in training was Dr. John Allen Black. (Whom I would later in life take on as my OB-Gyn  and even give one of my own Sons his middle name.) 

Anyway, one week we seen this little girl in the waiting room reading and pregnant, with her Mother. Exasperated I stared for a few, and eventually had to ask. I went right to the point and ask her age. Proudly, it seemed, her Mother answered; with nine. I cringed. Pregnant at nine. This must be a mistake or something. 

"When are you due?" The Mother ask me. 
I answered. But that allowed the door to be open for conversation. "Is she your daughter....and is she really pregnant?" 
"Yes to both!" She said. 
"But she's only nine! How?" 
"Her Father!" She responded.
"Are you still with him?" I couldn't stop myself.
"Yes. He's at work right now, why?!" She answered.
I felt like puking. My husband's mouth was hanging wide open. "Um... Oh. I mean... But she's nine, and he's her Dad!" Again I have foot in mouth disease you see....
"I know what you're thinking. But she doesn't mind." 
Ok I was so disgusted I couldn't talk anymore. 

When we went back into the room to be seen, as usual, with a clinic they check to see if you're using drugs, taking your prenatal vitamins, and than measure your growth as well as the babies. 

So I ask point blankly how DCF (Ohio's terminology for Children's Services) was not involved in the little nine year old and her Mother and Father. (Back than HIPPA laws were not as strict.) and the nurse said it was what the family wanted and agreed to.

This was 1985, when this happened. Where was the law than? A nine year old is not completely and totally capable of making adult decisions, and their bodies are not ready for Child birth, and pregnancy; let alone Motherhood. 

To this day, I oft look at my Son and remember going to that clinic and think of that nine year old girl and wonder about her. I wonder if she regrets "her alleged" decision? 

It's cases like this that make you wonder how and why some rape laws have been enforced, and some rape laws have been pushed to the extreme. 

Again: where was the law for that little nine year old girl, when she needed them, at least someone to offer an ear for listening and suggestions. Where? 

No comments:

Post a Comment